Do you love chocolate? Of course you do. I do too, but unfortunately most store-bought chocolate is mostly sugar and preservatives so most of us health nuts try and stay away from it. But did you know that chocolate in its raw, natural form (cacao) is hugely beneficial, and is considered one of nature’s superfoods? Unfortunately when it gets processed and becomes cocoa (note the spelling difference – don’t get mixed up between the two!), it loses its nutritional value, just like any processed food.
Eaten raw, cacao is one of the most potent antioxidants known to man. It is a great source of iron, so those of you who crave chocolate, could in fact be deficient in iron. It also raises serotonin levels, so if you tend to eat chocolate when you are feeling low, that’s your body asking you for a serotonin boost! But never fear, you don’t have to resort to cheap supermarket chocolate that is more chemical than anything else. You can quickly (and easily) make a superb healthy alternative at home, and I do mean quickly. It is raw, organic, alkaline-forming in the body, and is a great energy-boosting snack for any time of the day.
What you will need:
- Organic raw almonds
- Organic cacao powder
- Raw (Wild) honey
- Cold-pressed virgin coconut oil
It’s so easy to make!
- Blend the almonds until powdery in a blender (3 mins)
- Add some cacao powder – the more you add the more “chocolaty” it will taste
- Add honey until the nuts and the cacao powder stick together
- Add coconut oil to bind it together in a paste
Dig in with a spoon….and enjoy!
In addition to being a delicious alternative to chocolate, this snack has enormous health benefits:
- All raw ingredients means this snack is alkaline-forming, as opposed to cocoa products, which are acid-forming
- Cacao is a great source of iron – especially for vegans!
- The almonds and cacao are a great source of calcium
- Coconut oil contains the “good” fats and is the healthiest source of saturated fat. RAW coconut oil is known to lower LDL (bad cholesterol) and encourage HDL (good cholesterol) in the body. It also aides digestion, is a skin tonic, and helps boost the immune system
- Raw honey has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, and is also great for improving digestion. Like raw coconut oil, the raw honey is packed with enzymes, or the “spark of life”, which is crucial in facilitating the healthy digestion and assimilation of foodSo you see, there really is no reason to feel guilty for wanting a chocolate fix, or to resort to unhealthy alternatives at your local supermarket. Your solution is quick, easy, and healthy.
So what are you waiting for? Go and treat yourself!