Etain’s Fire Salad
It’s February – dark… snowy…..freezing. A time for the seasonal coughs and colds. Spring is just around the corner but it doesn’t feel like it, as winter won’t relinquish its icy grip.
Prevention is definitely better than cure, and good nutrition is the obvious choice when it comes to arming yourself with what your body needs to fight colds and the flu. It was for this very reason that I put a few raw ingredients together for a delicious salad that is highly nutritious and packed with both Vitamin C and fibre. It’s easy to make, and although served cold, will warm up the body nicely. I gave this salad its name because of its fiery colours and added chillies.
INGREDIENTS: (Measurements have been omitted as ratio of ingredients vary according to personal taste).
- Beetroot (raw – not boiled!)
- Carrots (raw)
- Red cabbage (raw)
- Red Apple
- Salad Seed mix
- Fresh green chillies
- Juice of a lime
- Sesame seeds (slightly browned in sesame oil)
- Grate the carrots; chop the red cabbage, beetroots and apple into thin slices. Add all to a salad bowl.
- Chop or grind the walnuts into tiny bits, and add
- Add the salad seed mix
- Heat sesame oil on medium heat; add the sesame seeds until light brown in colour.
- Chop or grind the chillies and garlic, and add the juice of the lime.
- Add the sesame seeds to the mixture and whisk with a fork
Stir into the salad, and enjoy!
Beta Carotene, Vitamin A, Vitamins B1, B2, B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Fibre, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Protein, Omega 3 + much more.
I hope you enjoy my salad — feedback is always welcome!